Research on over 5,000 worldwide online consumers shows us some interesting results, namely the number one reason people abandon your e-commerce store.
Online shoppers are demanding, lazy and want answers instantly.
According to the research, the key reasons for abandoning online stores are:
- Unexpected delivery costs (70%)
- Lack of information about the product, service or delivery (56%)
- Website difficult to navigate / can’t find what I am looking for (46%)
- Want to ask a question – can’t find answer (37%)
- Difficulty in getting any help / customer service on the website (30%)
These are important information, yet most sites hide them from customers.
When we say hide, we don’t mean completely remove — if the information is not clearly visible and easy to find, your visitors are more likely to leave.
Let’s use Sara as an example.
Sara wants to buy a new dress, she happens to have found your online store from your Instagram posts.
She goes on your website using her mobile phone to browse around.
How easy is it to find the navigation on your mobile website? will Sara get lost finding the dresses section?
Sara managed to find the dresses section and found a dress she likes but she is not sure about some things:
- Does the dress fit me?
- Do they have it in red?
- What happens if I need to return it?
- How long will it take to arrive?
- Do they even deliver to my location?
- Do I have to pay for shipping? how much?
How easy will Sara find answers to all her questions? remember she is on her mobile device without much screen landscape and even less patience.
Will Sara need to look around for a “Contact Us” page, fill in a form and hear back from you in 1-2 business days? Sara ain’t got time for that.
You want to make it super easy for your website visitors by constantly testing and improving your website based on customer feedback.